Thursday 24 September 2009

Maya Time...

I've been a busy bee in Maya lately. I've managed to knock up most of the model for my stock rig. There have been a few things to consider when modelling:

Posing itself is definitely something to look at from a rigging standpoint. A straight-up T pose is the classic way to model, and seems to be favoured by animators over having arms at a 45 degree angle. However, another useful pose is classed as 'the motorbike rider', which essentially has each joint at a more relaxed pose. The shoulders, elbows and knees are slightly bent, so when it comes to skinning, the body is not set in a particular extreme, giving fewer crazy distortions when say the arm is bent more than if it was modelled purely straight. I've taken this into account to an extent, and I've naturally modelled the knees slightly bent, and the elbows also bent a tiny amount. Through trial and error, I'll see if this technique works, or if I should implement it further.

Here's a quick pic of what I have so far. You may spot that some of the hair is missing, as I haven't got round to modelling that side for an asymmetrical 'do.

On another note, I'm going back to work at RJDM next week, along with James and Brad, to do some more animation work, which should be good. Rather energy draining again I'm sure but quite an experience. I'll be there for 2-3 weeks so I don't really know how much I will progress with my character. On top of that, 360Red got back to me today. Sod's law, as I can't really do the work he wants right now. Bit gutted that I'm going to miss out on that side but hopefully there will be more stuff at hand when I'm finished with this job.

Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment