Thursday 10 September 2009

Lazy...

Hmm, not that much to comment on this week. In all honesty, I've done very little since finishing the keys. I did get a positive response from that project, but I've been a little overrelaxed lately.

I did get round to watching the original short of 9 the other day, which was very clever and atmospheric. It will be interesting to see how the mood changes when voices are added to the characters, as well as new enemies for the characters to face. From a character design standpoint, my favourite element of 9 has to be his eyes. Blinking acts like a camera shutter, where the pupil shrinks to close. I thought this was a really cool, unique idea as it still retains all the expression that a standard eye would have, yet assists the feeling that 9 is a manmade character.

I also went to see District 9 yesterday (there's an awful lot of films about lately involving numbers, not sure if there's any relevance though). The feature film trailer for 9 played, and it kind of bugs me how they didn't mention Shaun Acker's name at all, but managed to cram every voice actor in there, as well as Tim Burton himself. I know these people are all well-known and such, but seeing as it was Shaun's original short and he wasn't given any airtime in the trailer, it feels that there's a great element of namedropping there. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the film will be brilliant, but it's just one of those niggles.

Back to the film, yes everyone should see it. It has a nice documentary-esque style to it and the managed to keep a sense of reality there (take note Hollywood, if anything big like aliens on Earth happened, there's a very slim chance of it happening in a big American city.) . The film deals with quite a few serious issues but doesn't patronise you with obvious plot turns. It's left me thinking quite a lot about the whole back story.

I should be thinking of a potential story for a group project, but my mind hasn't come up with anything of any worth. I guess it will happen when I don't think about getting inspired. It's always the way

No comments:

Post a Comment